Any member of the birth family can send letters to VDSS to be included in the adoption file. If the adoptee requests a search, a copy of the letter will be given to the adoptee at that time. Family members, such as a spouse or descendants of the adoptee, cannot have access to the adoptee's record.
How Do I add information to a record?
- Complete the Relative Update to an Adoption Record form
- Forms notarized electronically should be emailed to: email@example.com
- Ensure the application is notarized and mail the original to:
Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS)
Attn: Adoption Disclosure
5600 Cox Road, 3rd Floor West
Glen Allen, Virginia 23060
What To Expect?
- You will receive a letter from VDSS, confirming receipt of your information
- Verification that an adoption is on file cannot be provided
- If an adoption file is located, your information will be added to the permanent record and made available if the adoptee submits a request
Who do I contact if I have questions?
- For additional assistance, email an Adoption Disclosure Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org