Notice of Eligibility for Pause on Utility Disconnections
Under Virginia General Assembly law, Virginia customers who received TANF, SNAP, or WIC anytime between January 2019 - July 31, 2021 may qualify to avoid Dominion Energy disconnection.
Click here to learn more.
The TANF program provides eligible families with a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs. For a child to be eligible he must be:
- Under the age 18, or if 18, but not yet 19, enrolled and attending a secondary school or vocational/technical school of secondary equivalency and is meeting the enrollment and attendance requirements as determined by the local school board
- Living with a parent or other relative
- A U.S. citizen or an eligible immigrant
The Code of Virginia, §63.2, requires that the TANF program be administered in accordance with federal and state statutes and regulations and policies established by the State Board of Social Services.
Participants may be provided with services such as job skills training, work experience, job readiness training, child care assistance, transportation and other work related expenses.
Full Employment Program
The Full Employment Program (FEP) is a subsidized employment program designed to provide an opportunity for participants to increase self-sufficiency by earning a living wage, increase career-related work skills, and improve their competitiveness in the labor market. Learn more here.
Employment Advancement for TANF Participants Program
Through grants, the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) funds projects under this program. The projects are designed to provide proven service approaches and strategies to help current and former TANF clients to prepare to enter, succeed, and advance in the workplace. The expected outcomes of the project are improved job placement, improved job retention, higher employment wages upon entry, and increased wage gains from job advancement.
Below is a list of current projects. If you see a program in your area and you want to participate or get further information, contact your local department of social services.
Screening for Eligibility & Applying
- Option 1: Screen for eligibility and/or apply online through CommonHelp
- Option 2: Bypass eligibility screening and submit an application manually. Fill out an "Application for Benefits" from the forms section on this page and return it to your local department of social services.
Guidance & Procedures
- Appeal to State Department of Social Services (PDF)
- Applications for Benefits (PDF)
- Applications for Benefits (Spanish) (PDF)
- Benefit Programs Brochure (PDF)
- Change Report (English) (PDF)
- Change Report (Spanish) (PDF)
- Direct Deposit Enrollment Authorization (PDF)
- Renewal Application for Auxiliary Grant (AG), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) (PDF)
- Renewal Application for Auxiliary Grant (AG), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) - Spanish (PDF)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Application to Add New Assistance Members (PDF)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Application to Add New Assistance Members (Spanish) (PDF)
- Federal Legal Base - Social Security Act-Title IV-A
- Federal Regulations Base - 45 CFR Parts 260-265
- State Legal Base - Code of Virginia, Sections 63.2-600, 63.2-409, 63.2-614